Welfare benefit changes

The UK Government has made a number of changes to the welfare benefits system. Make sure you keep up to the date with these changes.

Don't delay if your welfare benefits are changing. Get in touch as soon as you can. We're here to help.

Need help with welfare benefits?

Find out more

Our welfare benefit advisor can help you claim all you are due

Backdated claims

As of 1 April 2016, Housing Benefit can only be backdated for one month for working-age claimants. There are some cases where this doesn’t apply – and our welfare benefits advisors can help you claim backdated Housing Benefit.

It’s important to submit your Housing Benefit claim as soon as you can.

Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy (Bedroom Tax) 

Your Housing Benefit will be cut if your home is too big for your needs. This is called the Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy (Bedroom Tax). There are a number of ways to remove this charge. Speak to your housing officer.

Temporary absence from home 

The rules have changed. Housing Benefit is now limited to four weeks for claimants living outside of the UK. There are a few exceptions.

Removal of the Family Premium 

This no longer applies for new claims or for families with new children after 1 April 2016. This is an additional £17.45 per week or £20.20 for single parents.

Benefit Cap

There’s a limit on the total amount of benefits that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. This is called the Benefit Cap. Certain groups will not be capped. Our welfare benefit team can give you advice and support.

Benefit Sanctions

The Department for Work and Pensions can apply sanctions to various benefits if it believes you have not met the rules for claiming. A sanction means your benefit will be stopped or reduced for either a fixed or open-ended period of time.

The only benefits that can be sanctioned are Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support and Universal Credit. You should challenge any sanction imposed on you. The majority of sanctions are overturned when challenged.

Our welfare benefit advisors can help you challenge these decisions.