Extra support

Do you still need a bit of extra financial support? The UK Government and other organisations could help.

Discretionary Housing Payment

A Discretionary Housing Payment is for tenants who get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element) but need extra help to pay their rent.

Funds from the Scottish Government helps tenants deal with welfare changes and covers the cost of the Bedroom Tax (Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy).

If you get Universal Credits you have to make a separate application to your local authority. Find out more at Discretionary Housing Payment Fund.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme cuts your Council Tax bill if you are out of work or on a low income. The amount you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can also claim Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions.

Scottish Welfare Fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund is a scheme run by local authorities. The grants don’t have to be repaid.

Crisis Grants

Crisis Grants are for people who need help because of a disaster or an emergency. It could be a fire or a flood, or if your money is stolen or benefits stopped.

Community Care Grants

Community Care Grants helps people who face going into care unless they get support to stay at home.

It also helps:

  • a person leaving care and needing help to set up their own home
  • families urgently needing one-off items, for example a cooker or a washing machine.

You’ll hear back within 15 days of applying for a grant. You can also call 0141 276 1177 to apply or click on Community Care Grant application.

Winter Fuel Payment

A Winter Fuel Payment is a payment made each year to help with heating costs for homes that include someone born before 25 September 1957.

Warm Home Discount

If you receive Pension Credit, or you’re on a low income, you may get a Warm Home Discount. This is money taken off your electricity bill by your energy supplier.

Need help with welfare benefits?

Find out more

Our welfare benefit advisor can help you claim all you are due